command for downloading a package to save

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 15 07:54:11 UTC 2009

On Sunday 14 June 2009 03:37:07 pm Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
> > On Saturday 13 June 2009 09:50:43 pm Martin Laberge wrote:
> >  > On Saturday 13 June 2009 17:05:57 Steven Vollom wrote:
> >  > > A virus has blocked me from sending emails, from communicating with
> >  > > my ISP, and now from downloading an application that may fix the
> >  > > problem. How can I download Klamov to a file, so I can copy it on a
> >  > > thumb drive and install it on my infected computer? Thanks!
> >  > >
> >  > > Steven
> >  >
> >  > An infected computer is a Windows computer!
> >  >
> >  > Klamav, a linux program, cant correct a Windows computer.

Lisi recommended a windows application that I can download and use.  When I
tried to copy it to CD the data would not verify, so I don't have it working
yet.

Thanks for the explanation.  It makes sense why people seem to keep saying I
have no virus.  Are there no virus' written to  screw with Linux?  And, won't
a windows virus infest a Linux OS?  Just trying to learn.  The guy said he was
running Kubuntu, not windows.

> As much as I am with you worrying about your relatives, this
> conclusion is bulshit, to put it mildly. When you got mail
> from Linux, you can also get Mail from Windows. And when you
> do not hear from someone you love, there may be thousands of
> reasons why this happens. Unless you KNOW FOR SURE, that a
> virus originating from your linuy machine is the reason why
> you do not get mail from other users, it is very likely to
> assume other reasons.

I received the email the day the email stopped working and could not reply to
an event that was taking place that very day.  As soon as I got the laptop
working, I got updated.  Whether you understand or not, I don;t know the
things you know, so when my daughter abruptly stops sending emails, I am very
concerned.  Murphey's law still works, and may be the case here.  I don't
know.

> on your laptop:
> sudo ifconfig

I think I may be answering this email twice, but it came twice then.

> usually, one of the interfaces will have an address
> beginning with 192.168.x.y
>
> Then fire up one of your non working machines and issue the
> same command, please.

The broken computer isn't connected at all right now..  I am getting a lot of
help right now that I wasn't getting before and started working on other
things.  I have just connected the broken computer; it has power, but is not
connected to the Internet.  I haven't been using the routher, because I have
been spending some time trying to fix my new computer.

Do you want me to connect to the router so that the laptop and broken computer
are both connected?  Or do just want me to copy and send the ifconfig just the
way it is, not connected to the modem or router.  Your plea sounded like you
didn't think I would comply.~ sudo ifconfig

steven at steven-laptop:~$ sudo ifconfig
[sudo] password for steven:
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:08:02:93:4f:8c
          inet addr:192.168.1.64  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::208:2ff:fe93:4f8c/64 Scope:Link
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:325396917 (325.3 MB)  TX bytes:15749526 (15.7 MB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:1920 (1.9 KB)  TX bytes:1920 (1.9 KB)

steven at steven-laptop:~$

steven at Yeshua:~$ sudo ifconfig
[sudo] password for steven:
eth0   Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr 00:0d:88:1c:a7:71
        UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
        TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
        collisions:0 tx queuelen:1000
        RX bytes:0 (0:0 B) TX bytes:(0:0 B)
        Interrupt:17 Base Address:0xd800

eth1   Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:40:05:39:47:8d
        UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU 1500 Metric:1
        TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
        collisions:0 tx queuelen:1000
        RX bytes:0 (0:0 B) TX bytes:(0:0 B)
        Interrupt:18 Base address:0xd400

eth2   Link encap Ethernet HWaddr 00:08:74:d4:1f:3a
        UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500  Metric:1
        TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
	collisions:0 tx queuelen:1000
	RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:(0:0 B)

lo      Link encap:Local Loopback
	inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
	inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
	UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
	TX packets:132 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
	collisions:0 tx queuelen:0
	RX bytes:9552 (9.5 KB) TX bytes:9552(9.5 KB)

steven at Yeshua:~$

> Then report back, waht you found on both machines. This will
> give us a first hint about your netwrok structure and
> whether you problem machine will be on the netwrok or not.

I am sure I did not give you what you wanted for the broken computer, but I
don't know how you want it connected, direct to the modem or to the router.

I connected the broken computer to the router and the laptop to the router;
but the broken computer still will not comunicate.  The readings were the same
as when not connected.

Steven