command for downloading a package to save

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Mon Jun 15 06:09:16 UTC 2009

Dear Steven,
Steven Vollom wrote:

> steven at steven-laptop:~$ sudo ifconfig
> eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:08:02:93:4f:8c
> inet addr:192.168.1.64 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

Excellent, this means:
Your laptop is on a private network, getting an IP Adress.

> steven at steven-laptop:~$
>

> At the moment, I am connected directly to the DSL modem, not the router.

Honestly, I am slightly confused. A real DSL-Modem, as Lisi
pointed out, does not act as a dhcp server, but connects you
directly to the internet. Obviously, your laptop is not
connected directly to the internet, but is residing behind
some kind of routing device, Otherwise imho it would not get
a 192.168.1.64 address.

So, what is the exact name and model of your "dsl-modem"?

> Do you want me to reconnect to the router. I don't have it set up to
> operate wirelessly, it is just set up to serve two cabled computers.

No!

>It
> is not a problem. I believe we are on the same side of the water with
> terminology. My modem is a DSL modem telephone in, power in, Eth cable
> to computer.

maybe ;-)

Okay then.
Simply have your laptop switched on, just at it is.
This is just, since I remember you fear, that it will not
start up, when you power it down.

Now remove the ethernet cable from the laptop and plug the
very same, known_working_good cable into your desktop.
Should the cable be to short, just move the desktop to where
the cable fits.

Then fire up the desktop which does not connect to the internet.

What happens?
what does
"sudo ifconfig"
show?

By doing this test, I put my money on you having problems
with your "multiple ethernet-router-switch..."-devices
inside your network, once again. I remember vaguely that
network problems of this kind at your site were the reason
for very long threads, some time ago. ;-)

After having done the test with the desktop, you can easily
reconnect the ethernet cable to your laptop and it will
work, just as before.

> The router is a D-link Air Plus extreme wireless, but I don't have it
> set up for wireless. I really don't need it that way at the moment.

No problem. I also only use wireless when I absolutely
cannot do without it.

Kind regards
Eberhard