upgrade 8.04 -> 9.04+kde3: how?

Martin Laberge mlsoftlaberge at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 01:58:49 UTC 2009

On Sunday 14 June 2009 09:11:07 Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
> Goh Lip wrote:
> > Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
> >

> >> This will probably get me in trouble but...........
> >>
> >> Have you ever thought of using the file manager to work with your files
> >> and folders and not a web browser?
> >>
> >> On the task bar there is this nice looking folder with a yellow star on
> >> it. It's one little gizmo I've come to like a _LOT_. With it I can
> >> navigate to any file or folder I want to open [ well, almost any ]. It's
> >> a neat little thing called "Quick Access". I can open files and folders
> >> or just launch the file manager [ Dolphin ] where I want it to open
> >> without having to navigate so much.
> >>
> >> As I understand the plan for the future Konqueror is not going to be the
> >> swiss army knife of KDE any longer. It's future is to be a better web
> >> web browser. It's something people are just going to have to live with
> >> or change desktops. Much like all the changes from KDE 3.5.10 to KDE
> >> 4.x. I can't say I'm particularly crazy about it but as I learn to work
> >> _with_it_ and not _against_it_ KDE 4.x is becoming much easier to live
> >> with.
> >>
> >> If I could give one piece of advice for KDE users it would be to learn
> >> to work _WITH_ KDE 4.x and quit moaning and groaning about the loss of
> >> KDE 3.x. Once you learn to work _WITH_ KDE 4.x you can do just about
> >> anything you could do in KDE 3.x. As KDE 4.x matures I feel like most
> >> people will get over it. When KDE 5.x comes along they will moan and
> >> groan over the loss of KDE 4.x.
> >>
> >> Asi es la vida!
> >>

> > Funny, I was reading this on my hardy kde 3.5.10 and I am replying from
> > it. My 2 cents (in my currency) take on this is that we all owe the
> > things we are enjoying to the developers who dare to do something
> > different and people who give feedback through bug reports and 'whine
> > about it'. Of course, there are many things broken or not so good when
> > we change to a newer system (that's why I am on hardy to do things that
> > karmic kde 4.3 is messed up currently). Naturally, we also like things
> > to work well.
> >

> <snip>
>
> You testing 9.10 and that's great. I'm glad there are people that are
> doing that. I certainly don't have the basic knowledge to triage like
> that. More power to you my friend. Thank you. And may whatever god you
> believe in bless you greatly.
>
> The thing is that it was made pretty clear something like a year and a
> half, or more, ago that Konqueror was going to change. It was no longer
> going to be "The Swiss Army Knife" tool that it had been before. It's
> been made quite clear that KDE was going to change for about that long
> also. If someone wants KDE 3.x I'm sure that the devs wouldn't mind if
> you sort of took it over and developed it further. [ very much like the
> 9.04 with KDE three ] But the future is what it is. After all this time
> I think people quit whining about the loss of KDE 3.x. KDE 4.x is not
> [...]

The hand saw can be found and supported today, and for
a very long future.

Sometimes, (far from a power plug) this is the only
alternative to cut wood.

When the power saw can cut without power, then the hand saw
will slowly become obsolete. Not before.

--
Martin Laberge
mlsoftlaberge at gmail.com
mlsoftlaberge at hotmail.com
mlsoft at videotron.ca
Tel:(418)521-6823
Cell:(418)575-2945
*** 30 Years of Unix Admin, and still learning... ***