upgrade 8.04 -> 9.04+kde3: how?

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Sun Jun 14 21:45:48 UTC 2009

On Sunday 14 June 2009 4:41:30 pm Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >> So, in other words without the Okular and Dolphin plugins Konqueror
> >> won't do either of those things.
> >>
> >> Getting creative is one thing, but to claim that Konqueror is a
> >> file/folder manager and can open PDF's natively is wrong. It can do
> >> neither of these things without a plugin. Konqueror is a web browser,
> >> period. It's the plugins that give it other abilities. Dolphin _is_ the
> >> file/folder manager whether inside Konqueror or stand alone. Okular _is_
> >> the PDF viewer either within Konqueror or stand alone. To say that you
> >> will switch distros before using Dolphin is an oxymoron. Your already
> >> using Dolphin all the time.
> >>
> >> With the proper plug ins I can do any of those things in Firefox, for
> >> instance, but no one claims that Firefox is a file/folder manager or PDF
> >> viewer. Firefox is a web browser that can use plug ins, just like
> >> Konqueror, to gain more functionality.
> >
> > Billie, stop pissing me off. Go install KDE 2 and tell me Konqueror
> > is. Then install KDE 3.0 and tell me what Konqueror is. Then work your
> > way up the point releases to 3.5. Then tell me again what you feel
> > konqueror is. Once you've got all that under your belt, you can look
> > at Konqueror in KDE 4 and tell me what it should and should not be. Or
> > what _you_ would like it to be.
> >
> > And just to make the point, the web browser rendering engine is an
> > embedded component in the same manner as the PDF and file management
> > facilities are. Furthermore, the PDF component of Okular is embedded
> > in Okular in the exact same manner that it is embedded in Konqueror,
> > ditto for the file manager component in relation to Dolphin. Konqueror
> > is not embedding Dolphin, it is using the same components that Dolphin
> > is using. Konqueror is not embedding Okular either, it is using the
> > same components that Okular is using. In exactly the same fashion that
> > it uses the web browser component. Oh, there are other KDE web
> > browsers that use that same component by the way, you can find one of
> > them as a desktop plasmoid.
>
> My intention is not to piss you off.
>
> Quote directly from your own e-mail to the list:
> > Yes, it is embedding Okular transparently just as it embedded Dolphin
> > transparently. You can get very creative with this.
>
> If it were possible to remove Okular and Dolphin from the system you
> would lose that functionality in Konqueror

As you would in KDE3  by removing kpdf - which is the tool that Konqueror uses
in kde3 to show pdf's - and is now called Okular. Even in KDE3, Konqueror is a
modular tool. It uses kfile for file management backend, khtml  for web
browsing, kpdf for viewing pdf files, and the like.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net