upgrade 8.04 -> 9.04+kde3: how?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 20:24:34 UTC 2009

> So, in other words without the Okular and Dolphin plugins Konqueror
> won't do either of those things.
>
> Getting creative is one thing, but to claim that Konqueror is a
> file/folder manager and can open PDF's natively is wrong. It can do
> neither of these things without a plugin. Konqueror is a web browser,
> period. It's the plugins that give it other abilities. Dolphin _is_ the
> file/folder manager whether inside Konqueror or stand alone. Okular _is_
> the PDF viewer either within Konqueror or stand alone. To say that you
> will switch distros before using Dolphin is an oxymoron. Your already
> using Dolphin all the time.
>
> With the proper plug ins I can do any of those things in Firefox, for
> instance, but no one claims that Firefox is a file/folder manager or PDF
> viewer. Firefox is a web browser that can use plug ins, just like
> Konqueror, to gain more functionality.

Billie, stop pissing me off. Go install KDE 2 and tell me Konqueror
is. Then install KDE 3.0 and tell me what Konqueror is. Then work your
way up the point releases to 3.5. Then tell me again what you feel
konqueror is. Once you've got all that under your belt, you can look
at Konqueror in KDE 4 and tell me what it should and should not be. Or
what _you_ would like it to be.

And just to make the point, the web browser rendering engine is an
embedded component in the same manner as the PDF and file management
facilities are. Furthermore, the PDF component of Okular is embedded
in Okular in the exact same manner that it is embedded in Konqueror,
ditto for the file manager component in relation to Dolphin. Konqueror
is not embedding Dolphin, it is using the same components that Dolphin
is using. Konqueror is not embedding Okular either, it is using the
same components that Okular is using. In exactly the same fashion that
it uses the web browser component. Oh, there are other KDE web
browsers that use that same component by the way, you can find one of
them as a desktop plasmoid.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com