<OT> 20 years a long time, unless you have the source...

Ignazio Palmisano ignazio_io at yahoo.it
Sun Jun 14 17:01:51 UTC 2009

Chris Jones wrote:
>> For KDE, the source is available, so unless it gets wiped out from all
>> the servers it will be available in 20 years from now. I'd bet a fiver
>> that someone will want to compile and run it, just so they can show it
>> to their grandchildren and make a new oldtimer joke like: back in my
>> time we had to type the code in one letter at a time! and the Macs
>> didn't even have a DEL button!
>
> I'm sorry, but to run KDE3 you have to compile everything it depends
> on, including very hardware sensitive things like X, HAL etc. In order
> to run KDE3 on machines 20 years on from, you will need to get these
> to compile and work as well. I just don't believe it will be possible.

I didn't say it would be easy :) or worth the effort. Ask an English lit
professor if it's easy or worth the effort to read Shakespeare in the
original language, then ask again Joe A. Verage or me, you'll get
different answers. If I valued the result enough, I might do exactly
that in 20 years. No way to evaluate now...
I.

p.s. and by the way it was a joke...