upgrade 8.04 -> 9.04+kde3: how?

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Sun Jun 14 16:51:50 UTC 2009

On Sunday 14 Jun 2009 17:15:55 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > So open two copies of Okular and place them side-by side. Duh.
> >

> Now I want to alt-tab quickly between two open PDFs (say, a guide to
> the gimp in one side and a design in the other) and Gimp. Having the
> PDFs in the same window helps here.
>
> The truth is, you can find workarounds for anything that Konqueror can
> do. But nothing does the work as smooth as Konqueror. You can argue
> all you want, but people are not going to take an inferior product
> because it does the job. Rather, I am helping them make KDE 4 a
> superiour product.
>

> but people are not going to take an inferior product because it does the job

Depends on your definition of inferior. If your definition of 'a good product' is 'one that contains konqueror' then you're being somewhat myopic. There are a lot of good things about KDE4. Take the rough with the smooth and make your choice. Embrace the change.

All I'm trying to say is; People have a choice, unless a KDE developer is holding a gun to your head you can either stick with KDE3 because you don't like the way KDE4 works, or you can change to KDE4 and change your habits a bit. Changing to KDE4 and then moaning that it's not like KDE3 is just petulant, and somewhat arrogant. Of course it's not like KDE3. KDE3 is like KDE3.

On the other hand, making constructive suggestions about how KDE4 could be better is helpful, but that's not the impression I'm getting from reading this thread. I wish you luck in sorting out the suggestions from the petulance.

Mark