upgrade 8.04 -> 9.04+kde3: how?

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sun Jun 14 14:37:47 UTC 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> I would be willing to bet that baring unforeseen catastrophes KDE 3.x
>> will still run twenty years from now. I have one old laptop that still
>> has DOS 6.2/Windows 3.1 and works just great. My old TRS80, TI-99-4A and
>> CoCo still work also.
>>

> You should rather bet that there will be unforeseen catastrophes.
> Engineers count on known unknowns and on unknown unknowns. KDE 3 is
> unmaintained, and will be as dangerous and useless as Windows 3.1 is
> today. Your Win 3.1 machine has no web browser, does not play mp3 or
> divx files, does not run Solidworks, and does not run Office.

But it still does what it does as well as it ever did. I have no idea
what "Solidworks" is. Don't play MP3's or movies on my computer very
often. Have dedicated tools for that. Wordpad will do whatever I need
done in Office, which I don't use much anyway. I could probably find an
old Netscape Navigator around here somewhere to add web browsing. *<]:oD

DOS 6.2/Win3.1 is very handy to have around in some circumstances. Like
when we have to program a radio to new frequencies most of the software
won't run in Windows of any version and the computer _HAS_ to be slow
speed. 486DX2 is just about right for most radios. Most pentiums are to
fast.

--
Treat all stressful situations like a dog does.
If you can't eat it or play with it,