Is there virus removal software for Jaunty KDE

Ignazio Palmisano ignazio_io at yahoo.it
Sun Jun 14 08:10:29 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Saturday 13 June 2009 10:09:35 pm David McGlone wrote:

>>> Thanks Jonas, but I cannot get the application.  The virus has stopped
>>> any method of communication on the Internet, save the browser.
>> How are you writing to the list if you have no Internet?
>>

>> --
>> Blessings,
>> David M.
>> http://www.dmcentral.net
> I fixed an old broken laptop and connected the cable from the modem to the back
> of the laptop and it works fine.  Eberhard said to look for linux apps.  If I
> do that, I don't know how to install a tar ball.  If I found a .deb, could I
> download it to a folder, copy it to disk or flash drive and install it in the
> other machine that way.  Or could I download Klamov using this command,
> kdesudo apt-get Klamov without the word install, just to get the application,
> copy it to disk or flash then install it in the other machine.

Hi Steven,
take a second to step back and look at the bigger picture.

KlamAV:
http://klamav.sourceforge.net/klamavwiki/index.php/FAQ mentions older
versions of kubuntu; without installing, it seems to me that it will
only work in KDE 3; you don't have that version, I believe, so skip KlamAV.

clamav (command line version of KlamAV):
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ClamAV
you need to enable Universe then do a fair amount of fiddling with the
command line

Third and more important: as many said, there is a fair chance you don't
have any viruses, but something else is not working in your computer.
It's not the router, since you are connecting with the laptop from the
same router (I guess - am I right?), so it must be either between your
main computer and the router (i.e. check the cable) or you network card,
or some software configuration. I'm not a log expert so I don't know
what to check, but that's the way to go.

HTH,
I.