KDE4 speed impressions.

Irving Leonard irving.lp at feestudiantes.cujae.edu.cu
Sun Jun 14 01:52:38 UTC 2009

El Saturday 13 June 2009 12:43:52 pm Mark Greenwood escribió:
> On Saturday 13 Jun 2009 17:09:22 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > > Strange how different people have different experiences. Jaunty has
> > > finally convinced me that 64-bit is worth using - it's running like a
> > > dream here. Fast and responsive. I wonder if the differences are
> > > video-driver related? I'm using the nvidia restricted driver - just a
> > > thought, I wonder if the binary part of that is 64 or 32 bit?
> >
> > Possibly, I'm using an ATI card here. But thanks for letting me know,
> > I have quite a few users with Nvidia video.
>
> Now that's interesting, on another machine with an ATI video card (an old
> one, only 16MB, using the open source driver) X uses 99% of the CPU all the
> time while KDE is running. It runs Gnome (Jaunty) fine. A colleague with a
> similar machine reports the same, but he's using Mandriva.

I can confirm it. I try jaunty in a Toshiba Satellite A70 (Celeron 2.8GHz
256MB RAM, 64MB shared with video wich is ATI Mobility Radeon 9000IGP;
openradeon driver).
A simple action like scrolling in kmail cause the cpu to climb from 18% to
100%. Something bigger like dragging a window is nearly impossible.
I begin a thread here (in the list) but get no response. I also post (in
launchpad among others) a possible bug in linux kernel because it detects my
device as 9100 instead of 9000.
--
regards
irving