KDE4 speed impressions.

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 07:10:37 UTC 2009

On Saturday, 13 June 2009 08:54:26 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Where do you see KDE 4 programs being
> slower than their KDE 3 counterparts?
I hate to feed a rant (8.04->9.04+kde3 thread), but my experience is the same.
KDE4 *feels* much slower. I know these things are subjective, but that's what
it feels like to me.

Konqphin is much slower. Scrolling down a list is hard to do. Drag and drop is
messy and hit and miss in ways too subtle to describe or screen-shot (hence
lack of bug reports from me).

Windows redraw with visible flickering and shearing. It's better without window
effects enabled, but then other stuff goes horribly wrong (like plasma 'holes'
and very slow changing between desktops).

Kmail is much slower - pausing to popup little boxes I can't turn off. Pausing
on every message I click for up to five seconds before it renders and then
another pause before I can scroll down and read it.

I am on the 64bit version of Kubuntu -- after years of 32bit. I expected a
large speed increase from that alone. I remember running the live CD of Gutsy
Gibbon 64 a few years ago and being blown away by the responsiveness of the
GUI. Windows moved and resized like glass gliding on silicon! I wanted that
kind of zip/zap this time round.

So, yes -- I have KDE4.2.x running now. It doesn't suck as hard as the install
of Jaunty did. I have tweaked my way around stuff. It's still better than Gnome
:) and I really really want the future to catch-up with the recent past.

\dd

--
home: http://otherwise.relics.co.za/
2D vector animation : https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/things/