Ubuntu or Kubuntu

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Fri Jun 12 23:58:49 UTC 2009

David McNally wrote:
> The main difference between the two, as everyone has already
> mentioned, is KDE vs. GNOME. I like the both because they both have
> differences that make each one unique and better than the other in
> different ways.
>
> However, I don't really like KDE 4 because of how slow it is, and
> lately I've had GNOME on most of my computers, but KDE 4.3, which
> should be shipping with Kubuntu 9.10, is much more resourceful and
> should be much better than KDE 4. For now, I recommend sticking with
> GNOME, but Kubuntu 9.10 should be interesting
>
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 7:53 AM, Chris
> Taylor<chris.j.taylor at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>> is there any real benefit in Kubuntu over Ubuntu I guess this is like
>> asking how long is a piece of string
>> I have been using Ubuntu for a short time still lots to learn. I use Open
>> Office, KMyMOney, K3B, Thunderbird, Firefox and VirtualBox as I run
>> windoze still
>>

>> --

Way back when I first experimented with Linux I installed both Gnome and
KDE. I can't tell you exactly why but I personally prefer KDE. I do have
Kubuntu on my desktop and large laptop, but on my EeePC I have Eeebuntu
with Gnome. When I first bought the Eee it came with an Asus trashed
Xandros install with a desktop that looked like something from
Playschool. I managed to get it switched to XFCE desktop which I thought
was quite nice. Very similar to KDE.

That's one of the many strengths of Linux. You have multiple choices.
There's something for everyone. Try out different desktops and distros.
Over time I've played around with four or five different distros before
settling, at least for now, on *buntu. A year or two from now all I can
say is that I will be using some flavor of Linux [ probably Kubuntu ].

--
Treat all stressful situations like a dog does.
If you can't eat it or play with it,