Ubuntu or Kubuntu

Joel Oliver joelol75 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 12 19:44:15 UTC 2009

Chris Taylor wrote:
>  is there any real benefit in Kubuntu over Ubuntu I guess this is like
>  asking how long is a piece of string
>  I have been using Ubuntu for a short time still lots to learn. I use Open
>  Office, KMyMOney, K3B, Thunderbird, Firefox and VirtualBox as I run
>  windoze still

You can always install both!  Best to start with gnome (Ubuntu) first
and keep gdm.

All you need to do is at the command line or in your favorite package
manager:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

When it finishes downloading everything and goes to configure, an
Ncurses box will pop up prompting you on which desktop manager you wish
to use (Either gdm or kdm4 IIRC)  keep gdm as default (Again my
preference) and then at the login prompt, you can select which desktop
to start.  The best of both worlds!  Be sure to disable autologon or you
will need to log out every time to switch desktops.

You can even install xubuntu-desktop and select between gnome, kde4 and
xfce!   Many more desktops can be used such as fluxbox (one of my
personal lightweight desktops), fvwm, enlightenment, flwm, uwm,
ratpoison, wmaker, (w)9wm, (c)twm, tinywm, sawfish, sapphire, qvwm,
pekwm, oroborus, olwm, wlvwm, lwm, jwm, icewm, evilwm, dwm, blackbox,
dwm, afterstep, nextstep, awesome, amaterus, amiwm, aewm......   These
are just the window managers in the repositories!

There's more than kde and gnome!  Of course most of these are
lightweight and specialized window managers, but you can try them out!
It's fun to experiment... I like the Amiga amiwm for fun.  Like I said
though, for a fast and somewhat flashy manager it's hard to beat
Fluxbox.  This window manager can take a Pentium-II 128MB computer and
turn it into a very functional desktop for many uses.  Windows 2000
drags on a system like this and XP is near painful.  Even XFCE is a
little plump.

Another thing I recommend doing is ditching network manager for wicd.
Network manager has a backend and a frontend.  There's a seperate
frontend for gnome and kde and a single backend.  The three packages are:

network-manager
network-manager-gnome
network-manager-kde

The kde version is just a mess of bugs and broken/borked crap which
causes all kinds of problems, especially with static ip's and uncommon
wireless settings.  I don't care if it's fixed now or mostly fixed,
there's a better solution called wicd which is very powerful, very
configurable, and the single python frontend works for all desktops
beautifully.  I use it for ALL installs, even wired only desktops.

sudo apt-get install wicd

This will conflict with the network manager bits, and also force the
removal of ubuntu and kubuntu-desktop metapackages.  This is normal...
Once you try wicd, you'll probably never go back!

Happy [k-x]ubuntu'in.

Joel.