Ark and office 2007 files

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 12 12:48:37 UTC 2009

On Friday 12 Jun 2009 12:34:32 O. Sinclair wrote:
> Donn wrote:
> > On Friday, 12 June 2009 12:57:22 O. Sinclair wrote:
> >> It is driving me nuts - it sort of works. I got xlsx files working but
> >> docx still refuse in Dolphin but works in Konqi... have tried all
> >> manners I can think of to associate file types.
> > You better let us see what you tried. Be specific.
> >
> >> Is there a cli way of doing this?
> > I have no idea...
> ok, first I did install the odf-converter package from this site:
> http://katana.oooninja.com/w/odf-converter-integrator
> this has worked fine on a number of computers.
>
> On this one however Ark gets called in by Dolphin and Konqueror
> I then tried to associate files via Systems Settings / Default
> Applications / file associations and adding the formats docx etc to
> already existing assocations for Write, Calc and so on. No change
> I then right-clicked on one of the files and tried to change assocation
> via Properties press button "Type". sort of worked, all files ending
> with ..x would open either by Write or Calc but not separate.
>
> After fuming for a while I uninstalled and reinstalled odf-converter.
> Now the excelfiles, xlsx suddenly works but not the Word files, docx.
>
> At present they open in Konqueror cause Konqi asks for application to
> use. Every time... no way to make it permanent. In Dolphin they are
> "unzipped" whatever I try.

Have you tried uninstalling Ark (or just renaming the executable) temporarily? If Dolphin can't find the program it's trying to use it may start to ask you questions and answering them might make it sort itself out. Once it's working you can put Ark back and see if if still works. I've done this once, a while ago, for a similar problem with a different app.