13 Permission denied.

steven vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 11 15:35:40 UTC 2009

Does anyone know what this means and how to reconcile the problem?

W: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones
used instead.
steven at Yeshua:~$ apt-get update
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13 Permission
denied)
E: Unable to lock the list directory
steven at Yeshua:~$

I right clicked on the lock file and read and write permission is granted to
root root at the bottom.  Can you remove root and replace it with steven
steven to get the necessary permissions, or is that not what is needed?

Thanks for any response.  I am cautions about deleting and rewriting the work
root to steven.  Usually there is an option to choose owner int the
permissions above that.  Thanks!

Thanks!

Steven