lost my most recent incoming emails on Live CD

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 11 13:53:47 UTC 2009

On Thursday 11 June 2009 01:20:47 pm David Kuntadi wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Steven
>
> Vollom<stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > Xsession: unable to start xsession, no /home/steven/.xsession file, no
> > /home/steven/.xsession file, no session managers, no window managers,
> > and no terminal emulator found, aborting
>
> Have you tried all my suggestion? Please try it one by one,make sure
> you type it correctly:
>
> At the command prompt, you could try:
>
> sudo dpkg --configure -a
>
> and then reboot. If it still go to command prompt again, then try:
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get upgrade
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> and then reboot. If it still go to command prompt again, then try:
>
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure --phigh -a
>
> and then reboot.
>
> DK
Yes, and thanks for replying so promptly to this email. None were a solution.
Eberhard had me attempt xserver at the command prompt.  The result to that
effort is:

Xsession: unable to start.  Xsession, no "/home/steven/.xsession" file, no
"/home/steven/.xsession" file, No xsession managers, no window managers, and no
terminal emulators found, aborting:

Does this mean I have to start over.  I am trying to avoid all the
reinstallation problems, email records, and having to go through all the
previous work getting wine and esword installed to the point I have gotten.
But if necessary I will.  In any event, I am pretty sure the installation of
Xine has a big problem.  Trying  to install it while waiting for a response to
an email during some dead time is the reason I used the time to install Xine.
Because I was using KpackageKit to make the simple install, it never occurred
to me that it could crash my system so badly.  Each time I reinstalled and got
to the same point, I attempted installing Xine during dead time, and three
times my system crashed the same way.  So, it must be Xine or KpackageKit, and
I have yet to have a problem with KpackageKit.

Strange, I have used Xine before in Feisty and Gutsy without problem, I can't
understand what has happened.  Thanks if you have advice on this matter.  If I
need to re-install, I should get to it, because I still have to get Wine and
e-Sword installed by this evening.  There are several people who will be at my
home this evening for a project that required e-Sword to be installed and
functioning.  I am very sorry to put this on you, David, I wouldn't, if others
weren't depending on me.  I thought I had plenty of time, when I made the
commitment.

Steven