no sound in XFCE 4 on Kubuntu (except in Amarok ???)

steven vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 10 14:00:09 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 10 June 2009 05:19:33 am Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 June 2009 08:31:51 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> > Hi Lisi,
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 23:47, Lisi Reisz<lisi.reisz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > This box has a messed up KDE on Kubuntu 9.04.  I have installed XFCE 4
> > > for now, because it works - mostly.
> > >
> > > Sound doesn't.  At least not always.  Amarok can play files that are on
> > > the computer.  Kaffeine plays a CD, but there is no sound; hardly
> > > surprising, since the volume control reports that it is muted.  And
> > > iPlayer plays on in ghostly silence.
> > >
> > > So: how do I unmute the volume in XFCE?  I asked on the XFCE list, but
> > > was sent here.
> >
> > As this is KDE related, open Kmix and unmute all the channels. That
> > should then work again also in KDE.
>
> Thanks for the input Myriam.
>
> I have now run Kmix in addition to Gnome alsamixer and alsamixer itself.
> They all agree that nothing is muted, but something obviously is.
>
> This is not in fact only related to KDE applications.  Firefox is as mute
> as Konqueror.  The only application that I have succeeded in using for
> sound remains Amarok.  :-(
>
> Lisi

Do you have alternate sound choices when you check you system settings.  I
have four choices including the defamed Pulse Audio.  If you try each entry
and find one that works, just move it up to the top in your multimedia system
settings and it will be first to play.  That worked for me one time I had a
similar problem.  From your posts, I am sure you tried that anyway, it is just
an attempt to help, in case you did not try that.  Please remember how
unqualified I am to help, and take it with a grain of salt.

Steven