smb4k problem

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Wed Jun 10 17:45:17 UTC 2009

pkaplan1 said:

> I set up a new machine on an existing AD network at work (I'm not the AD
> admin). On prior machines using smb4k (v <0.9.x), after selecting a book
> mark with a valid server/file share, I would get a dialog asking for my
> username (domain/user) and network password. After entering the share
> would mount under ~/smb4k/. I could also access the shares using
> smb://<server/file share> in konqueror (it then asks for username and
> password).
>
> In the Jaunty install (which uses smb4k 0.10.2), all attempts to access
> the shares through bookmarks are met with fileshare permission errors
> without the option to first enter username/password. However, I can
> still get to the shares through smb://.
>
> Any thoughts on what I've got config'd wrong or is this a regression?

smb4k is one of those apps recently destroyed  during the kde4
clusterfuck. I've similarly had all sorts of problems with it, after
using it painlessly for years I reverted to manually editing smb.conf.

After moving to gnome, this problem disappears via Places/Connect to
server and using bookmarks. Nice.

--
Best,
Marc