no sound in XFCE 4 on Kubuntu (except in Amarok

Brian Norman Wootton Brian.Meg at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 10 14:47:45 UTC 2009

> > As this is KDE related, open Kmix and unmute all the channels. That
> > should then work again also in KDE.

Thanks for the input Myriam.

I have now run Kmix in addition to Gnome alsamixer and alsamixer itself.  They
all agree that nothing is muted, but something obviously is.

This is not in fact only related to KDE applications.  Firefox is as mute as
Konqueror.  The only application that I have succeeded in using for sound
remains Amarok.   :-(

Lisi

I know zilch about XFCE, but I had exactly this problem after installing
Jaunty/KDE 4. I'm probably telling you what you've already done but this
is what I had to do in KDE:

When I went to 'system settings > multimedia' I found 2 output devices and a list
of categories(Music, Video, Games, Communication, etc). I had to select each
of these categories and say which output device I wanted to use with it, it
gives a test box. None of which worked initially.
 I had noticed that Amarok was giving me some sort of error message and
attempting to use 'pulseaudio'.  After I had 'linked' each category to the non-
pulseaudio output device(in my case HDA NVIDIA) and I had gone through Kmix
like you, everything started working, Except Amarok still occasionally says
it is defaulting to pulseaudio, still runs though. I also noticed that
if you run the cursor over a non selected output device it will list what
devices it will try

ALSA x-phonon
ALSA plughw
OSS /dev/audio
OSS /dev/dsp

Don't mean too much to me, even if I've seen all the mnemonics before, but
you did mention ALSA. Dunno if this helps.
brian