configure error

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Jun 10 07:11:41 UTC 2009

Michael wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Michael wrote:
> >> I do now!  <span class="moz-smiley-s1"><span> :-)
> >> installing the above mentioned but now I  get a "can't find X
> >> includes.
> >
> > Well, usually you need some extra libraries if you want to compile
> > graphical programs. Look for (and install) packages ending with
> > "-dev" and a name similar to your error message, i.e. x-dev or
> > similar.
>
> I installed libx11-dev package and I am still getting the error.  Oh
> well.  It isn't that important.

OK, I understand you are not familiar with compiling packages from
source. So I'll try to explain it a bit better. You need several
development libraries to make the ./configure step succeed. These are
not installed by default to save space on your machine. As most programs
are already available as a package from the repository, compiling isn't
usually needed.

To find out which packages you start the ./configure program and check
the error message. In your above error message "X includes" are missing.
Now start synaptic and search for "x -dev" (without quotes) and you will
see a lot of packages. Only a few of them are relevant, so you should
read the description of the packages. Among them you will find a package
x-dev which was my (not very good) guess yesterday without checking if
it actually exists. However there is a package "xorg-dev" which from the
description seems to be the one you are looking for.

Now install the package xorg-dev and start your ./configure again. This
time you will probably see a new error message at the end because it is
quite likely that your program depends several on other packages like
gtk, qt, etc. and again you will have to search for the appropriate
package in synaptic. And that's why I explained it a bit more verbously.
With the procedure above you should be able to find _most_ of the needed
packages on your own. If there is still something you can't find, please
show us the error message you get and we can probably tell you what is
missing.

Nils