no sound in XFCE 4 on Kubuntu (except in Amarok ???)

Lisi Reisz lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 21:47:04 UTC 2009

This box has a messed up KDE on Kubuntu 9.04.  I have installed XFCE 4 for
now, because it works - mostly.

Sound doesn't.  At least not always.  Amarok can play files that are on the
computer.  Kaffeine plays a CD, but there is no sound; hardly surprising,
since the volume control reports that it is muted.  And iPlayer plays on in
ghostly silence.

So: how do I unmute the volume in XFCE?  I asked on the XFCE list, but was
sent here.

It is an ESS 1969 soundcard.

Gnome-alsamixer and alsamixer correctly identify the card, as does lspci, and
the correct kernel module is loaded.

TIA

Lisi