Easy way to install e-Sword through wine

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Tue Jun 9 06:20:49 UTC 2009

steven vollom wrote:

> I stepped away from the computer and had a conversation with a neighbor.  When
> I came back to the computer, I could see what I was missing before.  I got to
> the point of confidence and went ahead and continued the instruction.  Wine is
> now installed, and I am comfortable that it is installed properly version
> 1.0.1, the stable version, not the Beta.  I went back to his instruction and
> continued.  After installing the Installer, I Extracted  and his script was in
> Kate.  I checked the box making it executable and noticed that ownership was
> steven steven, which was encouraging, but now I am unsure of what to do next.
>
> Do I download e-Sword now?  When it is downloaded, do I just click on the .exe
> and does the installer take over?  Then, are the missing dll's installed
> already so that I don't have to do that?  Is there a source for the bbl files,
> or do I just use my CD?  Should I add font smoothing?  Thanks for any reply.

Steven,
as David pointed out, wine version 1.0.1 is to old. See his answer on
how to upgrade wine to the latest version.

After wine is done, the whole purpose of Davids script is to simplify
the e-sword installation on wine.

So you do it like this:
-Install the latest wine
-Download Davids script and execute it according to the forum page
The installer will download and install e-sword and all the additional
things that are required to make it work.
-you are done

-if fonts are looking ugly, you can then download Davids fontsmoother
script and this will do the rest for you.

On another note:
What is it that makes you e-sword junkies so unhappy with KDE's
bibletime? I always thought that wine was the last possibility when
there is no decent Linux application to do the job. In contrast,
bibletime works simply great imho.

kind regards
Eberhard