konsole command line geometry

Alan Dacey Sr. Grokit at ajinfosearch.com
Mon Jun 8 11:27:47 BST 2009

On Monday 08 June 2009 03:20:21 am prad wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 00:42:01 +0200
>
> Jonas Norlander <jonorland at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Could it be that you have a rule for konsole windows in system
> > setting-> Window rules something?
>
> jonas,
>
> i don't see anything in settings > window behavior pertaining to
> whether konsole remembers it latest geometry. that's what's happening -
> whatever i resize the window to, is what shows up regardless of my
> --geometry parameters.
>
> --
> In friendship,
> prad
>
>                                       ... with you on your journey
> Towards Freedom
> http://www.towardsfreedom.com (website)
> Information, Inspiration, Imagination - truly a site for soaring I's

It's actually not part of any app, it's part of KWin.  First size the window
to your liking.  Then right-click on the window's top bar (to the left of the
Min, Max & Close buttons).  Choose Advanced --> Special Window Settings.  On
the 'Geometry' tab in the pop-up window, click on 'Size' and then 'Remember'
from the drop-down menu next to it.  That will remember the size of the window
every time that any konsole session opens.  There is a whole slew of options
in that dialog box, but the window size is the only thing that I use
regularly.  This works for anything that KWin opens, which really is
everything, it is very useful for little option windows that you want to keep
bigger than default or for making things open on the right side of the screen,
etc.

Alan