Easy way to install e-Sword through wine

steven vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 8 13:47:17 UTC 2009

On Monday 08 June 2009 06:46:30 am David Kuntadi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Long ago, I have started using e-Sword on linux. But it requires some
> tweaks that I could not find on internet. As such, I have made some
> experiment and make work perfectly. At first I share the steps to do
> it, but many people having difficulties to follow it and I have to
> spend time to guide them slowly. In order to make it easier, I make an
> installation script so that people want to install e-Sword on linux
> just need to point and click, and viola, it works perfectly.
>
> Using that installer, it is even easier to install e-Sword on linux
> than on microsoft windows. I have put up a backup and restore function
> as well, to save all your work in case you need it. I have also make a
> script to create e-Sword portable running on usb, on any computer
> running linux.
>
> Please check out in ubuntuforums below:

> I just updated the script to run latest e-Sword ( version 9.0.3).
>
> Please let me know if any of you need more help.
>
> DK
I am so excited David.  When I went to the link you provided, I attempted to
install wine using the suggested code on the page.  I copy and pasted the code
just to be sure.  It printed numbers instead of what I copied, but I expect
that is what you had in mind.  Nonetheless, here is the reply in the konsole:

steven at Yeshua:~$ kdesudo apt-get install 08666851

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
E: Couldn't find package 08666851
steven at Yeshua:~$ sudo apt-get install 08666851
[sudo] password for steven:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package 08666851
steven at Yeshua:~$

Recently I have been advised to use kdesudo instead of sudo; that is the
reason for the 2 attempts.  I love e-Sword and have installed it many times,
but it has always been a problem for me.  Consequently, I wanted to check with
you before I proceed so I don't screw up again.  Thanks for your thoughtful
work on this application; I am anxious to use it.

Blessings,
Steven