X server problems...Update

steven vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 7 16:58:10 BST 2009

On Sunday 07 June 2009 09:19:12 am David McGlone wrote:
> On Monday 01 June 2009 11:25:13 pm David McGlone wrote:

> > > Yesterday I turned off desktop effects and power control, left my
> > > computer on for the rest of the day and all night and the problem did
> > > not show it's ugly face. I just enabled power control this morning and
> > > I will wait a couple hours and see if the problem returns if not, then
> > > I will disable power control and enable desktop effects and see if the
> > > problem returns.
> >
> > Well after re-enabling Desktop effects this morning, I still haven't
> > reproduced the problem. Tomorrow I'll try the power control with desktop
> > effects off and see how that goes, finally I'll enable both of them again
> > and see how that goes.
>
> Yesterday, I re-enabled Power control while Desktop Effects were still
> enabled and sure enough I seem to have reproduced the problem.
>
> It seems, with both of these things enabled, my screen goes black and does
> not fully go into power saving mode, and recovering requires a hard reset.
> I can tell power control isn't working correctly, because for some reason,
> my monitor LED stays blue and does not turn yellow.
>
> Anyone else experiencing similar problems? I think Steven may be also, but
> not completely sure yet.
>
> --
> Blessings,
> David M.
> http://www.dmcentral.net
With my new computer, the 64 bit, I cannot even get a Live CD to get into the
mix.  If I could, I think I could get it to work.  I have not gotten the
opportunity to get to a place where I can get the memory checked, but I am
pretty confident my problem is related to a memory stick problem or a memory
slot problem, something to do with memory or motherboard.  I am reinstalling
and reconfiguring my 32bit box right now, but when I get that done, I will try
again on the 64 bit.  I sure miss its speed and abilities.  This is all so
very fun.  It  will be a great day, at least for me, and I hope you and
everyone else.

Steven