**Resolved** Re: Is it possible to change the mount points without formatting the drive or reinstalling the OS? **Thanks to all**

steven vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 7 14:04:33 UTC 2009

On Sunday 07 June 2009 12:18:53 pm Alan Dacey Sr. wrote:
> On Sunday 07 June 2009 11:51:55 am steven vollom wrote:
> . . .
>
> > My memory comes from long ago, and with much less knowledge than now, but
> > when I operated XP, I used a partition editor called Partition Magic, and
> > I thought you could do all sorts of partition changing without having to
> > reinstall.  Do you know anything about that?  I can remember adding and
> > changing volumes with the unused portion of a partition, things like
> > that; I don't remember anything about mount points, but I was wondering
> > if there was a difference in how such things are handled in other OS's.
> > Anyway, not a problem, I will reinstall today and get things finally
> > right.
>
> . . .
>
> > Blessings,
> >
> > Steven
>
> I used to have a 500gb partition of just XP but when I upgraded to 64bit
> Kubuntu 9.04 I wanted to resize it to 30 GB using Partition Magic.  Long
> story short, the entire partition got totally hosed.  Nothing I could do
> saved it. It was even a legal copy so there was no funny hacks to get
> around the Windows Genuine Advantage (or 'Checking to see if you a thief')
> .  I saved everything first so no worries, but if you are going to start
> resizing partitions (not recommended) then use Gparted instead.
>
> Alan
Dear Alan,

I got instruction already.  I have installed and am in the process of
configuring applications.  It is nice to have my partitions properly mounted,
however, I kind of expected them to show on the left panel when I open
Dolphin.   Using a konsole, I typed in 'mount' to confirm they are in there as
intended, but I can't find their location in the Home directory and do not know
how to put data in them until I do.  Can you help with this?  My partitions
are as follows:  '/' for the OS.  /home/svpersonal for the balance of that
HDD.  On another HDD, I have 100GiB allocated to /home and 100GiB allocated to
/home/backup.  I should be able to put stuff into any of them without changing
permissions or anything, shouldn't I with this configuration?  BTW I used the
ext3 file system for this old box; was that the right thing to do in your
opinion?

Steven