OT on :Re: kinit: no resume image, doing normal boot "urgent please" using live CD and need my compuer back.

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kubuntu.org
Sun Jun 7 11:45:52 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 17:26, Donn<donn.ingle at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, 06 June 2009 17:14:24 stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net wrote:
>> Among the options that were provided by the computer, I chose and executed
>> 'Repair broken packages'.  Next I chose and executed 'fsck'.  I was stopped
>> at a certain point in the process, where there was a warning that if I
>> continued, I could do damage to the partitions.
> fsck is "File System Check". It seems something went wrong with your hard
> drive. I am not sure what damage fsck might do, but I have run it often in the
> past. I think it's worth letting it check and repair your drive. If you have
> data on that drive that you cannot risk, then you may have to take other
> measures -- but if you can replace the data, then fsck the drive. I think you
> will be okay.

I think he got stopped because he was trying to run fsck on a mounted
partition, which should *never* been done as it really can ruin the
whole partition.

Running fsck is done by the computer in the default settings every
30st start and should ideally let itself run through. This is done
before the partitions are mounted, of course, so Steven, if you need
to do a fsck on your system, you should start the PC with a live CD in
recovery mode, then run fsck on /dev/sda1 (or whatever is the number
of hard disk partition that you need to check.
You might have to run it with the auto-repair option, because a fsck
that has to rewrite a lot will ask you a confirmation on every
modification. So running fsck with 'fsck -p' can spear you hundreds of
keystrokes.

Regards, Myriam.
http://www.fsfe.org