Fish & SSH

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Sun Jun 7 01:43:18 UTC 2009

Eric wrote:

> Muzer wrote:
>> Eric wrote:
>>> I just asked this same question on the Kubuntu Forum.
>>>
>>> I Have PcLinuxOS on my laptop and Kubuntu 9.04 on my desktop computer.
>>>  From Kubuntu I was able to connect with my laptop using fish. I have
>>> not been able to connect to the computer with Kubuntu installed using
>>> fish in either konq or Krusader. When I tried to use Kssh, the window
>>> opened for a flash and then it closed. I was able to connect with Putty.
>>> I would rather use fish. Any idea what the problem is?
>>>
>> Fish should only really be used when sftp is not available (which is
>> faster and more reliable). You should set up sftp on your Kubuntu system.
>
> Thanks for the tip. I just tried using sftp through Krusader. It
> connected immediately. Still, I'm curious why fish wouldn't work. Do you
> have any idea?

"fish" needs to log in to a shell via ssh.  So the first thing to do is make
sure that, if for instance you want to use "fish://eric@somedomain/" that
you can do "ssh eric at somedomain".  Most often, you find that it doesn't work
because the ssh fingerprint has changed (e.g., you've moved to a new
hardware platform) since you set it up
--
derek