4 blocked updates

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Sun Jun 7 01:47:50 UTC 2009

Muzer wrote:

> Donn wrote:
>> On Friday, 05 June 2009 19:11:13 Muzer wrote:
>>
>>> kdesudo should always be used if an app accesses your home directory
>>>
>> Why do you say this? I am curious.
>>
> Because sudo doesn't change the home directory to the /root directory
> (when kdesudo does), so if files attempt to save into the home directory
> using sudo, they will be inaccessible to the user, causing odd
> permission denied errors next time you start it without sudo.

While Muzer's advice is generally correct, it actually (usually) applies
only to running an app under sudo that you have _never run as yourself_!

> Well, anything that needs a config file in ~. Things like midnight
> commander (which I don't use, but it was the first example that came
> into my head). To check, type ls ~/.*appname* (also try abbreviations
> and other variations)

Precisely - so if you have run midnight commander previously under your own
ID, the config file will be owned by you, and running it via sudo won't
change it.
--
derek