Sound problem,

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Fri Jun 5 01:42:59 BST 2009

Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> Hi Billy,
>
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 05:12, Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh at swbell.net> wrote:
>
>> Steven Vollom wrote:
>>
>>> On Wednesday 03 June 2009 06:06:11 pm Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
>>>

>> As before, Kubuntu 9.04-64/KDE4.2.2.
>>
>> I only have the onboard sound. ATI. [ looked at it a hundred times and
>> didn't see it ] I had to get rid of phonon to get the card to work at
>> all. Pulseaudio is still there but not set as default. I can't seem to
>> get rid of it.
>>

> Getting rid of Phonon was probably not the best thing to do, Phonon
> being one of the basic elements of KDE4.

Phonon isn't really "removed" from the system but from the audio
settings in System Settings. As long as it showed there I couldn't get
sound to work at all. The system wouldn't accept anything else as the
default sound device.

> Having an ATI on board card myself and ran in quite some trouble with
> the sound, I found the following solution.
>
> 1. Remove and purge Pulseaudio. Again, neither KDE4 nor any of it's
> applications is designed to use Pulseaudio, it's the underlying Ubuntu
>
> system that unfortunately drags in Pulseaudio and causes problems.

I can't seem to find a way to get rid of it in CLI. In Synaptic if you
try to remove it it wants to remove all of KDE. It appears that its
somehow tied into KDE4.2.2.

> 2. Make sure the default sound backend, phonon-backend-xine is
> installed. Install the necessary codecs if needed, but avoid the
> libxine1-all-plugins, libxine1 and  libxine1-misc-plugins
> metapackages, those will drag Pulseaudio in again :( If those are
> already installed, don't even try to remove them, they will try to
> remove all KDE...so much for hard-coded dependencies.

All the phonon stuff seems to be still installed. Just not accessible
from System Settings > Audio.

> 3. Remove the ~/.kde/share/config/phonondevicesrc to remove all
> erroneous entries made by Pulseaudio. In my case Pulseaudio even
> removed my sound card altogether, no idea how it was going to play any
> sound without at least some sound hardware...
> 4. Remove, if existing, the ~/.asound.conf file as it its not
> necessary to use Alsa, Phonon can handle this very well.

Alsa is how I managed to get sound to work.

> 5. Restartt KDE4, and voila, sound works fine.
>
>> I guess the problem seems to be with sites like youtube. Do they use
>> "flash"?
>>

> Yes, of course, but there is an effort under way to implement the
> HTML5 specifications which will allow to play media without having to
> rely on flash altogether. A pity this effort is being done only now...
>
> There are remaining glitches with flash on my 64-bit system and
> Firefox every now and then looses the sound and begins to make
> stuttering noises. But I found out that YouTube runs quite well with
> Konqueror, and flash audio (for sites like thesixtyone.com) is handled
> best with Opera 10 beta.

That sounds like my issue. The video portion plays without a hitch.

--
Treat all stressful situations like a dog does.
If you can't eat it or play with it,