Sound problem,

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at
Thu Jun 4 16:43:19 BST 2009

On Wednesday 03 June 2009 11:12:28 pm Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
> > On Wednesday 03 June 2009 06:06:11 pm Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
> >> Kubuntu 9.04-64/KDE4.2.2
> >>
> >> I can play movies and videos on the computer and the sound works just
> >> fine. But, when watching something like youtube the sound won't work
> >> properly. The sound is choppy and stuttery is the best I can describe
> >> it.
> >>
> >> Is there someplace like "My Computer" that lists all the hardware etc.
> >> on the computer? I'm not sure what sound is on the mother board. I
> >> suspect something from ATI but.......  I also suspect that there is a
> >> CLI command something along the lines of "ls" something that might show
> >> the sound card. Whatever works.I mostly need to find out if the proper
> >> drivers are installed. I _think_ they are because in cases of local
> >> video the sound is fine.
> >>
> >> I don't believe it's an internet connection problem. My ISP is more like
> >> a fire hose than a garden hose. 1.5meg bandwidth. I routinely, if the
> >> server I'm downloading from can take it, get 230/250 kb/s download
> >> speeds. Once in a while even better.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Treat all stressful situations like a dog does.
> >> If you can't eat it or play with it,
> >> just pee on it and walk away
> >
> > Which OS are you using, Billie.  I am using Jaunty KDE, and it has a
> > plasmoid that works great; it also has under multimedia in system
> > settings a list of all your sound possibilities.  You can set it to use
> > your sound card or your onboard sound.  You can even use both for
> > different purposes.  I just fixed my sound problems with the help of a
> > List member and he squared me away so that I can set either to function.
> > I thought my sound card had been damaged, but found that it was OK.  It
> > was a simple task to switch back and forth from onboard sound to my
> > Audigy II card.  I don't remember Intrepid or Gutsy on the matter of
> > sound, but Jaunty is incredible.  Good fortune of your task.
> >
> > Steven
> As before, Kubuntu 9.04-64/KDE4.2.2.
> I only have the onboard sound. ATI. [ looked at it a hundred times and
> didn't see it ] I had to get rid of phonon to get the card to work at
> all. Pulseaudio is still there but not set as default. I can't seem to
> get rid of it.
> I guess the problem seems to be with sites like youtube. Do they use
> "flash"?
> --
> Treat all stressful situations like a dog does.
> If you can't eat it or play with it,
> just pee on it and walk away
Myriam just responded to sound problems and gave the way to get rid of pulse
audio.  Here is what she said.

Getting rid of Phonon was probably not the best thing to do, Phonon
being one of the basic elements of KDE4.

Having an ATI on board card myself and ran in quite some trouble with
the sound, I found the following solution.

1. Remove and purge Pulseaudio. Again, neither KDE4 nor any of it's
applications is designed to use Pulseaudio, it's the underlying Ubuntu
system that unfortunately drags in Pulseaudio and causes problems.
2. Make sure the default sound backend, phonon-backend-xine is
installed. Install the necessary codecs if needed, but avoid the
libxine1-all-plugins, libxine1 and  libxine1-misc-plugins
metapackages, those will drag Pulseaudio in again :( If those are
already installed, don't even try to remove them, they will try to
remove all much for hard-coded dependencies.
3. Remove the ~/.kde/share/config/phonondevicesrc to remove all
erroneous entries made by Pulseaudio. In my case Pulseaudio even
removed my sound card altogether, no idea how it was going to play any
sound without at least some sound hardware...
4. Remove, if existing, the ~/.asound.conf file as it its not
necessary to use Alsa, Phonon can handle this very well.
5. Restartt KDE4, and voila, sound works fine.