Kubuntu 9.04 on sony vaio VGN-NS11S part II : the microphone problem.

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 5 18:32:50 UTC 2009

On Thursday 04 Jun 2009 23:19:52 Humberto S. Shiromoto wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Beside the problem with the DVD, I still have a problem with the internal
> microphone of the computer... it just doesn't work at all

if your vaio, like mine, uses the snd_hda_intel sound driver, then the following should sort out your microphone.

There are various ways to do this but I like to:
create a file /etc/modprobe.d/options.conf

and add the line

options snd_hda_intel model=vaio

In kmix this gives me three input channels:
Mic Jack
Capture (with a slider)
Internal Mic.

Make sure the Capture slider is all the way up, and tick the checkboxes next to Capture and Internal Mic. (If these don't appear, try Settings->Configure Channels).

Mark