4 blocked updates

Muzer muzerakascooby at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 17:11:13 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Friday 05 June 2009 11:51:40 am Muzer wrote:
>
>> Steven Vollom wrote:
>>
>>> Today I received updates for my 32bit computer.  It included 4 blocked
>>> updates.  Why are then sent to me if they are blocked?  Thanks!
>>>
>>> Steven
>>>
>> KPackagekit is a bit rubbish. It refuses to install updates if they have
>> additional dependencies. To install them, open konsole or a terminal
>> window in dolphin/konqueror, and type the following:
>> sudo aptitude update
>> <wait for the command to finish>
>> sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
>>
>> It will prompt you if you want to install the additional dependencies;
>> type y here. Then they should install.
>>
>> --
>>
> Thank you very much.
>
> If you don't mind, I have gotten so many different ways to use the root
> capability that I would like to know something.  One will suggest sudo,
> another kdesudo
kdesudo should always be used if an app accesses your home directory (in
other words, virtually all graphical ones, and a few command line ones).
Sudo can be used for command line apps as long as they don't access your
home directory.
> One will suggest apt-get another aptitude, etc.
apt-get and aptitude are similar but not the same. I prefer aptitude
because it has better things like solution finding for conflicts, etc,
that apt-get doesn't have. Some things (like grabbing the source for a
package) you'll need to use apt for, not aptitude.
>   Are any of
> these commands synonymous and interchangeable?
As I said, kdesudo is mainly for GUI apps, sudo for command line. And
apt-get and aptitude are quite interchangeable, but sometimes you'll
need to use one or the other. I prefer aptitude over apt-get for reasons
stated above.
> I think it is time I
> understand such things.
Not only does learning to use the command line give you a better
understanding on how a system works, it is also a lot faster. Most
people can type much quicker than they can click, so if you get the hand
of simple time-savers like tab completion, command history, standard
input/output redirection and pipes, and learn some simple bash scripting
skills, you'll be able to very easily and quickly do things that would
be very complex in a GUI. Then, you can move on to more complex things
like regexps (and the commands that use them, like sed and grep), and
awk scripts (which I haven't dared take on yet). The only problem with
this is that whenever you are forced to use a Windows computer, you will
get so frustrated about how unbelievably crap the Windows command line is!