**Resolved** Re: No sound.

Lance DeVooght cyborghunter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 14:49:46 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> On Monday 01 June 2009 09:47:56 am David McGlone wrote:
>> On Monday 01 June 2009 04:17:13 am Steven Vollom wrote:
>>> Sound worked before re-installation.  I installed Jaunty KDE on my old
>>> box. Intel Pent IV 2.3 mhz.  The sound card is Audegy II.  512mb DDR.
>>>
>>> The little speaker that normally shows on the panel is not there, so I
>>> cannot check to see if it is muted.  Kmix is not included in the Kmenu,
>>> but it is installed.  I can get confirmation by pressing Alt=f2.  There
>>> isn't a gui panel with adjustments and indicators of whether muted or
>>> not.
>>>
>>> System Settings indicates that the Audigy II card is not working, but I
>>> am inclined to suspect a Kmix mute.  How can I get the speaker icon on
>>> the panel with mix adjustments back?  Thanks!
>> type "kmix" in a console window.
>>
>> --
>> Blessings,
>> David M.
>> http://www.dmcentral.net
>
> Thanks David, I already did that.  Apparently my Audigy II card became
> defective.  I changed to the onboard sound and it works fine now.  Not quite
> as good, but OK.  Thanks!
>
> Steven

Steve,

When you have two sound controllers in one computer
the it is not a given that the one you want to use
will be the default under KDE.

To select the Audigy as the default go into "System Setting," >>
"Multimedia." Now, change move the Audigy to the top of the list
in each of the "Audio Output" sub-headings, i.e. "Notifications,"
"Music," "Video" etc.

In addition, you may want to invoke "asoundconf" from the command line.
This was the old way to set the default sound controller.
"asoundconf" without parameters will display the help.
"asoundconf list" to list active sound controllers.
"asoundconf set-default-card <your card name from list output>" to set
the default.
I don't know that "asoundconf" is necessary, but it won't hurt.

After doing the above you will again be able to hear sound out of your
AudigyII sound card. I t is not defective!

Regards,

Lance