Kubuntu 9.04 on sony vaio VGN-NS11S

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 2 19:20:13 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 02 Jun 2009 12:29:51 O. Sinclair wrote:
> Humberto S. Shiromoto wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 4:16 PM, David McGlone <david at dmcentral.net
> > <mailto:david at dmcentral.net>> wrote:
> >
> >     Try Nigel's suggestion, after you insert a CD, open dolphin and
> >     click on the
> >     CD rom icon in the left pane called "places" and see if you are able
> >     to browse
> >     the cd.
> >

> > I tried this suggestion but anything happen, it just doesn't mount the
> > cd. I also tried to remove and to insert the notification icon but
> > nothing happens
> >
> try this command from konsole:
> sudo hal-disable-polling --enable-polling --device /dev/scd0

Thanks! That fixed it for me! Easy when you know the command :)

I got this output:
Polling for drive /dev/scd0 have been enabled. The fdi file deleted was
  /etc/hal/fdi/information/media-check-disable-storage_model_BD_ROM_BC_5500A.fdi

For reference for others, it is definitely also necessary to have the correct line in /etc/fstab. Mine is
/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0

And I also have a directory /media/cdrom which is symlinked to /media/cdrom0. This also seems to be necessary for the new device notifier to work.

I wondered how that got there in the first place as I have never knowingly disabled polling on this drive. Wierd.

Mark