Kubuntu 9.04 on sony vaio VGN-NS11S

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 11:29:51 UTC 2009

Humberto S. Shiromoto wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 4:16 PM, David McGlone <david at dmcentral.net
> <mailto:david at dmcentral.net>> wrote:
>
>     Try Nigel's suggestion, after you insert a CD, open dolphin and
>     click on the
>     CD rom icon in the left pane called "places" and see if you are able
>     to browse
>     the cd.
>

> I tried this suggestion but anything happen, it just doesn't mount the
> cd. I also tried to remove and to insert the notification icon but
> nothing happens

try this command from konsole:
sudo hal-disable-polling --enable-polling --device /dev/scd0

given that your drive is at /dev/scd0 that is... I finally found out
that I had permanently somehow disabled "polling" on my drive. Now when
I slot in a cD/DVD it gets recognised

hint: start the KSysguard (ctrl+esc) and filter for "hald" then see if
you have line re "hald disabled from polling /dev/something"