kwallet and wireless internet access

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Jun 2 03:58:01 UTC 2009

Pastor JW wrote:
> Yes, it is a terribly annoying and time wasting program responsible
> for many bad words being uttered.  I nearly dumped KDE completely
> over it.

And what is the alternative? Gnome has a similar program ...

> AND to be even more annoying, the developers of this
> program keep hiding the controls of the program in different places
> every new version upgrade.  Once you disable it (in 8.04 I had to
> type "kcontrol" into the "Run Command" in order to get a tool to shut
> it off, but they may have hid it again just to INSIST you jump
> through worthless hoops in order to use KDE on you own machine) you
> can THEN remove it from your machine using Synaptic.  Making Linux
> utility programs depend on this program is even more annoying that
> kwallet itself. I think it promoted by people who don't actually have
> to USE their computers but want to "impress" people by always doing
> something on their keyboard rather than actually doing anything
> productive.

No, it is written by people who know a bit about security. KDE is
written to be usable on a multi user machine and kwallet takes care of
the security of your passwords. You and me use KDE on a machine with
only the owner accessing the machine and kwallet may be overkill for us
but in many cases it is surely useful. And like someone else mentioned
already, you can give it an empty password if you don't want to be asked
for the kwallet password.

Nils