Update repair question.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 1 21:21:52 UTC 2009

On Monday 01 June 2009 03:03:30 pm Nils Kassube wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
> > I updated and got the following as a conclusion to the update.  I see
> > the Commands and Options, also what is wrong with my system, I just
> > do not know how to apply what is suggested.  Help please.
> >
> > W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release
> > i386 (20090420.1)/dists/jaunty/main/binary-i386/Packages  Please use
> > apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update
> > cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
>
> I suppose you still have the installation CD in your sources file. You
> could either insert the CD (not useful) or delete the entry from the
> file "/etc/apt/sources.list". To do so, use the command
>
> kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list

steven at Yeshua:~$ kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list

kate(9081) KToolInvocation::klauncher: klauncher not running... launching
kdeinit
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/klauncher
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kded4
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca4
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kbuildsycoca4(9098) KBuildSycoca::checkDirTimestamps: timestamp changed:
"/usr/share/applications/kde4"
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca4
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kconf_update
kdeinit4: preparing to launch

> and remove the line that starts with "deb cdrom:" or put a # sign in
> front of the line.

Since that happened, I haven't noticed any problems.  I simply wanted to
answer it to see what I could learn.  It sure is strange, some of the things I
experience that don't make sense.  Other than being a bit slow, my old box is
working beautifully.

> > steven at Yeshua:~$ apt-cdrom
>
> Well, the error message was a bit misleading because you probably don't
> want to update from a cdrom but from the internet only. Therefore the
> suggested apt-cdrom command doesn't apply to you.

I can't make any sense from what I see; can you?  What do I do, just forget
about it?

Steven