E: Type 'em' is not known on line 56 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jun 1 14:09:01 UTC 2009

steven vollom wrote:

> In the past, I have always used sudo, but recently I have been told I
> should be using kdesudo, so I tried both and nothing happened.

No, no, no.  You're not hearing what you're being told.

You use "sudo" for _command line_ apps, like apt-get/aptitude.

You use "kdesudo" for GUI apps, like kate.

You can switch around but kdesudo _has_ to have a desktop to display it's
popup prompt, and sudo can have trouble attaching to the users display.
--
derek