X server problems

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 1 07:23:11 UTC 2009

On Sunday 31 May 2009 10:16:48 pm David McGlone wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have just started experiencing probably something similar to Steven's
> problem, my monitor was going blank and would not come back on, I had to
> reboot the computer to get a screen back.
>
> After it happened a couple times, I turned off desktop effects and so far I
> haven't had it happen again.
>
> I also turned off the power saving feature. I'm going to troubleshoot a
> little more and I'll post back the results.

I cannot get the boot to pass the first boot grub entries which happens so fast
I cannot interrupt with f6.

I can't even get the boot process to go far enough to activate the Live CD.
At least I could edit the boot grub, if I could get to that point.

My computer opens with an ASUS page, ASUS logo with some options to connect to
the internet, skype, BIOS, normal boot, etc.  When that page closes, in the
smallest part of a second, the print which starts the boot procedure goes by
so fast that I can not stop it with f6.  I immediately get a black screen with
a cursor, like an underscore, blinking in the upper left corner of the screen.
I can not seem to get anything else but what I describe, remember, the Live CD
will not show the first page where English is the option.

I have had brief operation since these problems started.  Those brief
encounters suggest to me that at least the first two slots of memory function
and all the memory sticks (4 in total, 2gb each).  The video card has
functioned since the problem started, HDDs worked and power supply too.  The
DVDRW worked with the Live CD on one occasion; the only part that has never
worked since the problem started is the 3rd and 4th slots for memory.  When I
install memory, (memory that has tested as working), the black screen appears.

Now I get that black screen even when I leave the 2nd & 3rd slots empty and no
video card present, using onboard video, 8400 GForce nVidia.

Steven