"must be setuid root"- Hardy

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 08:47:30 BST 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 6:39 AM, Goh Lip<g.lip at gmx.com> wrote:
> Jonas Norlander wrote:
>

>> It could be that your /etc/sudoers got corrupted or perhaps you by
>> mistake changed something in your /etc/fstab so the partition didn't
>> got mounted right.
>
> Jonas, I think you are right in that my fstab in Karmic messed up the
> /usr/bin/sudo as well as /etc/sudoers in Hardy.
>
> I have been trying to fix only the /usr/bin/sudo and have not tried
> fixing /etc/sudoers. Any thoughts on how to do that?

/etc/sudoers is the configuration file for the sudo command and as
default there is not much in it. The only uncommented line for my
Jaunty machine is:

Defaults        env_reset
root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

To edit /etc/sudoers you run "sudo visudo" from command line but if
your sudo don't work you have to gain root permissions some other way
(boot from a live-CD) and edit the file.

We don't know if that was the cause for your trouble but if happens
again it could be worth checking.

/ Jonas