Can't get wireless to work with kubuntu 9.04 - Not solved, but working

Bruce Bales bbales at cox.net
Fri Jul 31 20:50:40 UTC 2009

On Friday 31 July 2009 13:46:21 Bruce Bales wrote:
> On Friday 31 July 2009 12:07:36 Thomas Olsen wrote:
> > On Friday 31 July 2009 05:52:31 Bruce Bales wrote:
> > > Greetings -
> > >
> > > Wireless on my laptop with kubuntu 8.04 was not easy.  I had to
> > > sudo iwconfig ath0 essid bbs key (the wep code)  and then
> > > sudo dhclient each time I booted up.
> > >
> > > Then I upgraded to kubuntu 9.04 and the iwconfig line no longer works.
> > > The iwconfig line gives me "ath0 no such device."
> > > I tried wlan0, wlan, eth0, ath1 and wlan1 -- same result.
> > >
> > > Wireless was working long enough to install and update 9.04.
> > >
> > > The main page has an icon which says "network management"  Clicking on
> > > that then  "network connection" then "enable wireless"  then "manage
> > > connection" gets me nowhere.
> > >
> > > I would greatly appreciate some help on this.
> > >
> > > bruce
> >
> > Have you tried just "iwconfig" at the cli to see if any wireless
> > interfaces are recognized?
> >
> > --
> > Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen
> >
> >   Thomas Olsen
>
>   I don't understand it, but here is the output of iwconfig.
>
> bruce at laptop:~/docs$ iwconfig
> lo        no wireless extensions.
>
> eth0      no wireless extensions.
>
> wmaster0  no wireless extensions.
>
> wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"linksys"
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
>           Tx-Power=20 dBm
>           Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B
>           Power Management:off
>           Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>
> pan0      no wireless extensions.
>
> bruce

Something has changed.  Now the machine accepts
sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid bbs key (the wep code), but when I
sudo dhclient  It does DHCPDISCOVER wlan0, pan0, eth0 and wmaster0 on port 67
(about 20 lines) with various intervals.  Eventually it declares
No DHCPOFFERS and goes to sleep.

But then I went to network manager and clicked on wireless, did a few other
clicks and put in the wep key again and now konqueror works.

Nothing changed, but it works.  The machine has aptly demonstrated its
superiority over man.  It will help you if it feels like it.

Somewhat embarrassing.  Thanks to everyone for the help.
bruce