Can't get wireless to work with kubuntu 9.04

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Fri Jul 31 14:28:35 UTC 2009

On Friday 31 July 2009 08:05:43 am Nils Kassube wrote:
> David McGlone wrote:

> > > What wireless device do you have? I think "ath0" would be some
> > > Atheros chipset but which one? 8.04 had the madwifi driver but now
> > > the driver is in the kernel, maybe your chipset is not yet
> > > supported correctly? To find out what chipset you have, use the
> > > commands
> > >
> > > lspci
> > > sudo lshw -C network
> > >
> > > in a terminal and post the relevant part of the output. And if you
> > > want to find out the wireless interface name you can try the
> > > command
> > >
> > > ifconfig -a
> > >
> > > in a terminal. It will show you the configuration of all interfaces
> > > known to your system.

> > > If you have problems getting the network manager working it may be
> > > useful to replace it with wicd. You can install the wicd package
> > > from the 9.04 repository.
> >
> > Another suggestion, check your /etc/network/interfaces. I can almost
> > guarantee it's empty.
>
> What part of the quoted mail are you referring to? And yes, the
> interfaces file should be nearly empty (there should be an entry for lo)
> unless the OP has modified it. Then what would be the problem with the
> nearly empty file or what would you suggest should be in the file which
> could fix the problem? Please elaborate.

I thought on an upgrade, the file shouldn't have been modified. He stated it
worked in 8.04. In other words his interfaces file should have already been set
correctly for his interfaces, since he had already had it working in 8.04.

 But I made the suggestion because, I had the same problem on my upgrades
where my settings would disappear in my interfaces file.

I tried using knetworkmanager (or whatever it's called) to configure my
interfaces again but the interfaces file never did get the data written to it.

I've also did fresh installs on 3 computers for people last week and I had to
manually add the eth* interfaces to the file because knetworkmanager just
wouldn't write to the file.

I can understand the file being empty except for lo on a fresh install, but on
an upgrade.....

--
Blessings,
David M.