Can't get wireless to work with kubuntu 9.04

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Jul 31 12:05:43 UTC 2009

David McGlone wrote:
> On Friday 31 July 2009 12:44:08 am Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Bruce Bales wrote:
> > > Wireless on my laptop with kubuntu 8.04 was not easy.  I had to
> > > sudo iwconfig ath0 essid bbs key (the wep code)  and then
> > > sudo dhclient each time I booted up.
> > >
> > > Then I upgraded to kubuntu 9.04 and the iwconfig line no longer
> > > works.  The iwconfig line gives me "ath0 no such device."
> > > I tried wlan0, wlan, eth0, ath1 and wlan1 -- same result.
> >
> > What wireless device do you have? I think "ath0" would be some
> > Atheros chipset but which one? 8.04 had the madwifi driver but now
> > the driver is in the kernel, maybe your chipset is not yet
> > supported correctly? To find out what chipset you have, use the
> > commands
> >
> > lspci
> > sudo lshw -C network
> >
> > in a terminal and post the relevant part of the output. And if you
> > want to find out the wireless interface name you can try the
> > command
> >
> > ifconfig -a
> >
> > in a terminal. It will show you the configuration of all interfaces
> > known to your system.
> >
> > > The main page has an icon which says "network management"
> > > Clicking on that then  "network connection" then "enable
> > > wireless"  then "manage connection" gets me nowhere.
> >
> > If you have problems getting the network manager working it may be
> > useful to replace it with wicd. You can install the wicd package
> > from the 9.04 repository.
>
> Another suggestion, check your /etc/network/interfaces. I can almost
> guarantee it's empty.

What part of the quoted mail are you referring to? And yes, the
interfaces file should be nearly empty (there should be an entry for lo)
unless the OP has modified it. Then what would be the problem with the
nearly empty file or what would you suggest should be in the file which
could fix the problem? Please elaborate.

Nils