no sound after?

Perry pwhite at bluewin.ch
Mon Jul 27 14:15:45 UTC 2009

Le Sunday 26 July 2009 22:48:46 Steven Vollom, vous avez écrit :
> Trim
>
> > Do you have the Kmix icon at the system tray?
> > If not, open command and enter 'kmix'
> > LEFT click on the icon and click 'mixer' button.
> > Do you see a channel with PCM?
> > If no, at the settings, click configure channels.
> > Then tick PCM button. You're done.
> > Make sure you slide up the volumn level up, too :)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Goh Lip
> >
> > note: if this is not the issue, let's tackle this some other time.
> > I need to take about 8 hrs off.
>
> I am the least to give advice, and you help me all the time while I am in
> Jaunty, two steps after Hardy.  I am having difficulty understanding why
> you haven't made the move?  I would skip Intrepid, but Jaunty is rock
> solid.  All the problems I seem to have are self created, because I don't
> know proper usage yet, but I remember and liked Hardy, but I so prefer
> Jaunty to Hardy or Intrepid.
I installed Jaunty before Hardy (on another partition) but could not change
the screen resolution because the monitor configuration tool in system
settings had no way to manually select a generic monitor... this problem is
now half solved because I copied the /etc/X11/xorg.conf from Hardy to Jaunty.
Another reason is I would have prefered the LTS version.
A third reason is I was much more familiar with the interface in Hardy and the
new kmail is ugly (I whish I could remove the dated bars in the message list
part)

> I am not positive, but I believe Jaunty handles all sound installations
> automatically.  You may have some choices, I have four, but the one that
> works is the one  that I use.  My sound is excellent, too.
Indeed the sound works there.

> Make a Live CD of Jaunty and see if that works.  Then test the application
> a bit to see if you might like it.  If you use Gnome for a Desktop, try the
> Traditional menu option in the widgets.
No use

> I had to make the change, due to my motherboard and excessive memory.  They
> were not supported in earlier issues, however, I just love Jaunty.  It only
> took a few days to get used to it, and I believe it is the direction
> Kubuntu will be taking itself anyway.
>
> I have been where you are so many times, stressed to the maximum, where it
> gets confusing, you have tried so many things.
Well, after a computer crash I had to rescue my data from the drives and port
them to a working system as fast as possible.
Now I got Hardy almost functionning and I'm getting used to Jaunty

[snip]

> Relax a bit from the problem.  I will try the little I know, and see if I
> can come up with something.
>
> Steven

There is still a lot I have to learn in both Hardy (because I feel frustrated
when I can't solve a problem) and Jaunty.

Thanks for answer		Perry

--
BOFH excuse #240: Too many little pins on CPU confusing it, bend back and
forth until 10-20% are neatly removed. Do _not_ leave metal bits visible!