Problems installing Kunbuntu 9.04

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 27 05:06:58 UTC 2009

On Sunday 26 July 2009 05:09:17 pm David McGlone wrote:
> On Sunday 26 July 2009 05:11:08 am Morten Mathisen wrote:
> > received a CD from Sweden and installed Kubuntu on an old laptop. Tried
> > installing twice. I got some error messages after the installation. Don't
> > know which.
> >
> > Kubuntu booted from the harddrive. I got the login screen, then the
> > screen went black. Only the cursor on the screen.
> >
> > Whem I installed a CD I got a menu in the upper left corner. That's all.
> >
> > Can anyone help me get started with Kubuntu. Till now it has only given
> > me frustration.
>
> I had that problem once, it was desktop effects. I had to switch them off
> as soon as I got kubuntu installed. Not sure if it's the same for you, but
> it's worth a look.
>
> --
> Blessings,
> David M.
> http://www.dmcentral.net

Hello,

You might try just playing from the Live CD to see that it works.  I had video
driver problems that resolved a similar situation.  If the Live CD Boots up
and gives you the ability to operate the OS, it may be driver related.
Additionally, depending on version, some of the applications require a minum
of 512mb ram to operate.  Which version of Kubuntu did you install?  I believe
that Intrepid and Jaunty require 512mb.  Maybe even Hardy, but I don't think
so.  Check the Ubuntu site to see system requirements for the different
versions.  Some people consider an old laptop a 3ghz w/2gb of ram an old
laptop, others a 25mhz with 8mb of ram.  If you explain your laptop's
equipment and the version of Kubuntu you installed, some expert on this site
will help you for sure.

Steven