updates on 9.04

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Fri Jul 24 19:38:55 UTC 2009

David McGlone wrote:

> On Friday 24 July 2009 11:01:38 am Stan Hughes wrote:
>> Hope I am not making a pain of myself, but here is another question
>> following installing 9.04 on my computer.  Formerly I was using
>> 6.0whatever (dapper drake) and the updates available would appear on the
>> on the bottom panel and were very easy to install.
>>   In 9.04 I get a notice that 12 updates are available.  When I click on
>>   it
>> says "4 security updates; 4 blocked updates".  That doesn't add up to 12.
>> How should I be getting updates?  Why would it tell me about blocked
>> updates and why would they be blocked?  Am I going about this completely
>> wrong?
>
> Did you try clicking the "reload" button?

That's Four security updates, four blocked updates, and four _other_
updates.  "blocked" updates are generally blocked because of dependency
errors.  "Why" could be any one of a number of things - how exactly did you
upgrade to 9.04?  There is an apt command that will tell you _why_ updates
are blocked, but I've never had to resort to it myself.  "sudo aptitude why
PACKAGE-NAME" should help.
--
derek