driver for HP2309v...(used to be: Re: screen resolution)

Perry pwhite at bluewin.ch
Fri Jul 24 16:53:22 UTC 2009

Le Monday 20 July 2009 23:27:12 Perry, vous avez écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Fresh install of hardy on new computer.
> Problem at beginning: screen resolution <=800x600 on a screen with
> recommended 1920x1080.
[snip]
> After much googling and trying I now have 1600x1200,
> **but I can't find again the more 16/9 like 1360x768
[snip]

I got no reply to my previous mail, so I kept googling and experimenting. Now
I can better frame my problem.

my system:		Kubuntu hardy   (+Vista)
my monitor:		HP2309v
my graphic card:	NVIDIA GeForce G210   (version 70.18.8.0.5)

Up to now I have been experimenting with the generic vesa driver that Kubuntu
selected and trying to replace the unrecognised 'plug and play' screen by a
generic LCD display of different resolution.
Then I discovered that vesa was kind of a minimal common factor for displays
and probably not the best option...and I discovered  *I had nvidia* (it may
seem stupid but please excuse my ignorance)

Since I have 14 different types of nvidia Geforce listed under constructors
(in screen and displays [if I translated correcly]) and one 'nv' pilot
installed, plus a choice of nvidia stuff to install from repos, a trial and
error search will take me a long time.

I belive there is not yet a linux G210 driver so I would like to find a driver
most similar to it.
How should I go about it?

Thanks for any tip.

Greetings		Perry