Quassel and Konversation

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kubuntu.org
Thu Jul 23 19:32:29 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 15:08, Jonathan Thomas<echidnaman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> The Kubuntu team is wondering. We would like to know, between Konversation and
> Quassel, which IRC client you prefer and why. But mainly we want to hear why.
> We don't want to hear "Quassel sucks!" "Konversation sucks!" "Quassel for
> evar!!!" or anything as superficial as that. ;-)

I have always been using Konversation in KDE3, it really was my
preferred IRC client. When switching to KDE4 in early Beta times, I
got used to Irssi in a Screen session and can not really imagine
switching back to a GUI client personally.

I tried both Quassel and the new Konversation for KDE4, and my
preference goes to Konversation without hesitation:

Nothing against Quassel, but it seems to be more like a 'Geek tool for
Geeks', not exactly the IRC client I would suggest for the general
Kubuntu userbase, as the IRC client should be first of all user
friendly. It has it's advantages, the only one I can see for me
personally being the possibility to run a remote core and stay online
even if not connected, which definitely is a big advantage for people
traveling who don't want to shutdown their IRC session and/or loose
logs. IRC being the preferred media for collaborative software
development, it sure is a great tool for developers.

Konversation in its version 1.10 on KDE4 is fast and reliable, easy to
configure and not overloaded with features. Unless other people I do
not miss DCC at all, this being a technology very much outdated for
todays IRC (and not allowed in most Freenode channels anyway) and a
possible security problem for beginners. So if I would have to suggest
a default IRC client for KDE4 in Karmic, I vote for Konversation.

Regards, Myriam.

http://www.fsfe.org