Kubuntu [simple] DVD authoring tools

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Mon Jul 20 18:15:21 UTC 2009

On Monday 20 July 2009, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> I might just copy the .wmv files to a cd and find out if my friends have
> stand alone players that can play .wmv's.

I just made up this script for putting a .wmv to a dvd:
======================  make a DVD  from a WMV  =============
#!/bin/bash

# convert to mpeg
ffmpeg -i $* -target ntsc-dvd -aspect 1.3333 temp.mpg

# create dvd filesystem with title and TOC and then remove temp mpeg file
dvdauthor -o temp -t temp.mpg
dvdauthor -o temp -T
rm temp.mpg

# convert DVD filesystem into an iso file and remove temp directory
mkisofs -dvd-video -o DVD.iso temp
rm -rf temp

to run it:     make_a_dvd   <name of wmv file>

Worked like a charm